Recipe by senseicheryl
I received an email this morning from the www.lifescript.com website and this recipe was featured. I love making muffins and usually try to think "healthy". I haven't tried this one yet, but I definitely plan to.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup fat free sour cream
- 2 gala apples, peeled, cored and sliced (or Granny Smith)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Beat the butter and sugar together with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is light in color and fluffy.
- Lower the speed to low and add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold half of the dry ingredients into the butter mixture using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Stir in the applesauce and sour cream. Fold in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Fill the muffin tins halfway with batter. Add a few apple slices to each muffin and spoon the remaining batter over the apples.
- Bake on the center rack until the muffins are golden brown and springy to the touch, about 35 to 40 minutes.