Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Inspired by an easy recipe by "kzmom" and Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food, but altered for some healthy extras...
- 4 cups oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons soy flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons brewer's yeast
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit (I used dried cranberries and "berry medley" from Trader Joe's containing cherries, blueberries, and)
- Grind flaxseeds in food processor, finer the better.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- Add all remaining wet ingredients and mix very well. I mash between my fingers for a good consistency that doesn't crumble later.
- Add dried fruit and mix if you haven't already. I eyeball this, probably about 1/2 cup.
- Firmly press into jelly roll pan. Since the mixture is sticky, I find it best to spread it out with the spoon, cover with a sheet of plastic wrap, then roll firmly with a rolling pin. The firmer you press the bars, the less likely they are to crumble later.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees. My oven takes 17 minutes. Edges start to brown slightly, middle puffs up. Do not overbake or they will be hard.
- Cut into bars (or whatever shape you prefer) with pizza wheel cutter WHILE WARM.
- When cool, store in tupperware container in fridge until ready to eat.
These are yummy! Mine turned out a wee bit dry...think I may try to add just a tad more applesauce next time. But they were still delicious and me and my 3 boys LOVE 'em! I used my homemade organic Carrot Applesauce for the applesauce and regular yeast as I was unable to find brewer's yeast. Also, I added 1/4 c. dried cranberries and 1/4 c. mini chocolate chips.