Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Healthy Shepherd's Pie made with Chicken or Turkey. I received an email this morning on our food service professionals board (www.RestaurantBeast.com ) requesting a recipe for something on the healthier side for St. Patrick's Day and thought I'd share here. Ground turkey and ground chicken actually make a GREAT Healthy Shepherd's Pie.
- 1⁄2 ounce olive oil or 1⁄2 ounce vegetable oil
- 2 ounces peeled chopped carrots
- 3 ounces chopped yellow onions
- 1 ounce chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 -6 ounces ground turkey or 5 -6 ounces chicken
- 1⁄2 pinch fennel seed
- 1 pinch fresh thyme
- 1 pinch fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch fresh sage
- 1 pinch lemon pepper
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon frozen green pea
- 3 -4 ounces grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 ounces grated parmesan cheese or 2 -3 ounces romano cheese
- 4 ounces mashed potatoes (made ahead with reduced fat milk, horseradish or garlic, butter buds, white pepper and salt)
- Heat oil to a sizzle.
- Add carrots first and saute until starting to brown and caramelize.
- Add onions and continue to cook.
- Add broth or water if needed.
- Cook until onions are completely translucent.
- Add ground chicken or turkey, and fresh garlic.
- Continue to cook until meat is cooked through (several minutes).
- Add frozen peas, red pepper and all herbs and spices.
- Stir well to blend spices into meat mixture.
- Place meat mixture into an oven-proof casserole or serving bowl, top with reduced cheddar and 1/2 the parmesan.
- Place under a salamander until cheese melts.
- Add a layer of mashed potatoes in the center of the bowl leaving a circle of the meat mixture exposed on the exterior.
- Top the potatoes with the additional grated parmesan and place back into the salamander until parmesan browns and forms a crust.
- Place bowl on a larger plate as the bowl will be hot.
- RestaurantBeast.com Chef!