I have yet to find a roasted veggie that I didn't like, so I am constantly playing with healthy, low calorie sauces and seasonings for them. I came up with this last night to accompany LinMarie's Bourbon Chicken and Sue Lau's Chinese Fried Rice. I think it would be just as good with green beans (though the cooking time would need to be decreased slightly). Also, if you prefer a sweeter sauce, you could add a tablespoon of honey or brown sugar, as it is a fairly salty sauce as written. If you want to reduce the fat and calories, you can omit the olive oil and simply spray the broccoli with cooking spray before roasting. NOTE: I love raw garlic flavor myself, but if 4 cloves seems like more raw garlic than you would like, trying stirring the garlic and ginger in with the broccoli before roasting as Susie D brilliantly suggested! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- 2Place the broccoli into a steamer insert and set in a pot over one inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover and steam for about 3 minutes. (You still want the broccoli to be somewhat undercooked. Remove from the heat and transfer broccoli to a cassarole dish. Sprinkle with green onions and drizzle with olive oil, toss to combine.
- 3Roast broccoli in the oven for 10-15 minutes until beginning to caramelize, but still tender-crisp.
- 4Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, miso paste, red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Pour over the roasted broccoli and toss to coat. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- 5NOTE: If you are not a fan of raw garlic flavor, consider stirring the garlic and ginger in with the broccoli before roasting.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Sesame Roasted Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.8
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 460.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 5.5 g