Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
A low-fat, heart healthy version of this traditional comfort food, courtesy of SparkPeople.com.
- 4 cups thinly sliced raw potatoes
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- 3 tablespoons whole grain wheat flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons low-cholesterol margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk (or unsweetened soy milk and vegan margarine)
- Layer potatoes and onions in casserole, sprinkling flour and fresh parsley between each layer.
- Heat milk and margarine and season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over all layers.
- Bake 1 hour covered at 350°F Remove cover and bake additional 30 minutes.
To be honest, I wasn't really expecting this to be good...maybe because it is low-fat but actually they turned out really well. I think it would taste better with the full fat stuff but it is still really really good
Delicious! very rich and creamy. went perfect with my easter ham. yum. thank you.
Low fat and tastes like a comfort food? Perfect! I ended up making this in the microwave by melting the butter (I don't use margarine) then adding the flour and mixing to a smooth paste. I added some of the milk mixed until smooth and then added the rest of the milk, salt and pepper. I nuked the milk for about three minutes on high and stirred until smooth. I then did step 1 in a microwave safe casserole dish and put a little bit of sauce between the layers and poured the rest on top. I microwaved this covered on high for about 18 minutes. Next time I'll try this in the oven and see how it compares.