1/3 Photos of Healthy Rye Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Ymmm, I love Rye bread. Makes a great soup bowl to serve guests or eat on your own. Goes great with chili's or stew. From "The Best of Silver Hills Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine" Cookbook. Update: When we made the rye bread (picture to the right) we added an extra cup or two of flour while kneading to make it a little lighter. It was really nice for us, but many like their rye bread heavier in which case you'll want to follow the directions without adding extra flour. Tasted terrific! Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix first six ingredients together in a large bowl and let cool until molasses mixture is just warm.
- 2Dissolve yeast and brown sugar in 1/2 cup warm water and add to molasses mixture.
- 3Stir in unbleached white flour and whole wheat flour until dough is soft enough to knead. Knead briskly 5 to 10 minutes.
- 4Let rise approximately 30 minutes and then divide mixture into 2 round loaves.
- 5Place both loaves on a vegetable oil-sprayed cookie sheet and let rise 20 minutes.
- 6Bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F.
- 7Allow bread to cool before slicing. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (53 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.0
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 149.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 4.1 g