Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Ymmm, I love Rye bread. Makes a great soup bowl to serve guests or eat on your own. Goes great with chili's or stew. From "The Best of Silver Hills Delicious Vegetarian Cuisine" Cookbook. Update: When we made the rye bread (picture to the right) we added an extra cup or two of flour while kneading to make it a little lighter. It was really nice for us, but many like their rye bread heavier in which case you'll want to follow the directions without adding extra flour. Tasted terrific! Enjoy!
- Mix first six ingredients together in a large bowl and let cool until molasses mixture is just warm.
- Dissolve yeast and brown sugar in 1/2 cup warm water and add to molasses mixture.
- Stir in unbleached white flour and whole wheat flour until dough is soft enough to knead. Knead briskly 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let rise approximately 30 minutes and then divide mixture into 2 round loaves.
- Place both loaves on a vegetable oil-sprayed cookie sheet and let rise 20 minutes.
- Bake for 1 hour in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F.
- Allow bread to cool before slicing. Serve warm.
Looks very good! And healthy. Ive made a Danish style rye bread here at www.ryebread-recipe.com
We had the St. Patrick's day dinner today; corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, carrots, etc. I was excited to have homemade rye bread to go along with everything, but this was not the recipe I was looking for, way too sweet, I even used a little less molasses than called for because that was all I had left in the bottle. The rye flavor was almost non-existent, I used at least 1/4 a cup of caraway seeds but that did not help. DH was happy to have homeade bread but agreed that the slight rye & caraway flavors did not go with the sweetness. It rose nicely, but the texture was very dense. I will keep looking for the right recipe.
Delicious, hearty bread... I placed a shallow pan of water on the bottom of the oven, and brushed the loaves with water a few times to make the crust extra hard. I also left out the caraway seeds (though I'm sure it would be great with them also). This bread is EXCELLENT fresh from the oven with butter, or cheese.. This will definitely be a staple!