I'm a heart patient and diabetic. I really have to watch my diet. I love rice pudding, so I put together this recipe that doesn't use sugar, eggs, butter or regular salt. I substitute for all these bad things and it seems to work. My wife likes it served to her hot. I like it cold right out of the fridge. If you like rice pudding, try it. I think you will like it.
- 2 1⁄4 cups white rice (uncooked)
- 6 cups reduced-fat milk, divided
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular, No Calorie Sweetener
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt substitute
- 2⁄3 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 6 tablespoons Smart Balance light butter spread
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium pan, bring 5 1/2 cups water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine the cooked rice, with 4 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups milk, Eggbeaters, ground cinnamon and raisins.
- Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Serve warm or cold.