I took a LOL recipe and made it healthier and cut out most of the fat and sugar. I only grow green rhubarb, and I assume they would look prettier with red. These were very moist and slightly tart. I like them very cinnamony; if you don't, cut the cinnamon in the batter in half.
- 1⁄2 cup light maple syrup (or 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar)
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄8 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1/8 c butter)
- 1 cup fat free sour cream (or regular)
- 1⁄3 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb (frsh or frozen diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (or sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- To make it with the fat and sugar, use 1/2 cup packed brown sugar instead of the maple syurp, 1/4 cup butter instead of the butter and apple sauce, regular sour crea instead of the fat free, and 2 eggs instead of the egg substitute.
- Dice rhubarb into 1/4 inch chunks.
- Heat oven to 375°F Combine syrup/brown sugar and butter/applesauce in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add sour cream and eggs and continue beating till well mixed.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, and baking soda, just until moist. Fold in rhubarb. Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin pan.
- Stir together 1 T sugar and 1/2 t cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes, and then remove from pans.