Recipe by Artsy Chef
I took a LOL recipe and made it healthier and cut out most of the fat and sugar. I only grow green rhubarb, and I assume they would look prettier with red. These were very moist and slightly tart. I like them very cinnamony; if you don't, cut the cinnamon in the batter in half.
Top Review by HokiesMom
This is a nice muffin recipe but I was dissapointed in how the muffins really stuck to the cups. I used teflon muffin cups/liners and sprayed them but the muffin itself stuck and was very difficult to remove. Maybe they are so lowfat there is not enough in the batter to keep it from sticking? I tested after 20 minutes - then 25 minutes and they were finished then. I did add a bit more cinnamon and also a dash of nutmeg in the batter. I did not use the topping tonight. Very nice taste overall and I just need to learn to tweak it so they do not tear apart when trying to remove from the muffin cups. Made for My 3 Chefs Event June 2008.
- 1⁄2 cup light maple syrup (or 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar)
- 1⁄8 cup butter
- 1⁄8 cup unsweetened applesauce (or 1/8 c butter)
- 1 cup fat free sour cream (or regular)
- 1⁄3 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups rhubarb (frsh or frozen diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute (or sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- To make it with the fat and sugar, use 1/2 cup packed brown sugar instead of the maple syurp, 1/4 cup butter instead of the butter and apple sauce, regular sour crea instead of the fat free, and 2 eggs instead of the egg substitute.
- Dice rhubarb into 1/4 inch chunks.
- Heat oven to 375°F Combine syrup/brown sugar and butter/applesauce in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Add sour cream and eggs and continue beating till well mixed.
- Stir in flour, cinnamon, and baking soda, just until moist. Fold in rhubarb. Spoon into greased or paper lined muffin pan.
- Stir together 1 T sugar and 1/2 t cinnamon in small bowl. Sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes, and then remove from pans.