1 hr 10 mins
Melanie B.'s Note:
This recipe was my husband's idea, when he noticed that we had a can of crescent rolls sitting in the refrigerator for way too long. He also happens to be a big fan of big, healthy, filling breakfasts. So...I cleaned out my fridge with this one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 rolls, crescent rolls from a can
- 2 1/2 cups egg substitute, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cheese, 2% and shredded, your favorite variety
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, sliced with a potato peeler
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup spinach, fresh and torn
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1Spray a medium sized casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- 2Place rolls on the bottom. You don't have to use the crescent rolls (I just happened to have some the first time and it stuck). Feel free to use any type of bread - leftover, dry stale bread works the best. You can cut it up, tear it, whatever suits your mood.
- 3Layer the vegetables, ham, parsley, and cheese on top of the bread. Pour in the Egg substitute. You may need to press a bit to ensure all ingredients are covered with the egg.
- 4If you aren't in a hurry, this recipe works better if you allow it to sit in the refrigerator (covered) for an hour (or up to overnight). This lets the flavors incorporate and the egg soak into the bread.
- 5Cover with foil and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and finish for another 5-10. Ensure that the egg is set. If you choose to use a real-egg custard, you will not need to bake as long.
- 6Cool, cut into squares, and serve. I like to serve it with a little of my favorite sauce or a few slices of fresh roasted green chilis (which I always have around).
- 7Next time I make it, I want to use some fresh Ricotta cheese in the casserole -- let me know if you do and how it turns out.
- 8Also - this makes a great leftover lunch!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Refrigerator Cleaning Day Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 13.7 mg
- Sodium 681.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 21.7 g