Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A healthy twist on stuffed peppers! I served these with mashed cauliflower - yum!
Make and share this Healthy Quinoa and Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup quinoa (or 1/2 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup bulgar wheat)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 bell peppers (I use three green, three red)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Italian cheese (I used parmesan and asiago blend)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine quinoa and chicken stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 15-17 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the tops off of the bell peppers, remove the seeds and set aside in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Chop the tops of the peppers (will add to the meat mixture later).
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large sauce pan and saute the garlic.
- Add chopped onions and peppers. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed (5 minutes).
- Add the cooked quinoa to the meat mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Fill each pepper with the mixture. Cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, top each pepper with italian cheese. Cook five more minutes (cheese will melt and begin to brown).
- Serve immediately :) Enjoy!
Good - easy - delicious recipe! I highly recommend steaming the peppers before you stuff them. Also I added goat cheese to the center of mine and it was fantastic. Next time I make them, I will either omit or reduce the worcestershire sauce.
Delicious and simple! Used Italian turkey sausage to add a little heat. Will definitely be making this again and again.
5 stars because i screwed it up and it still was very delicious!! used water instead of chicken broth and under shot the amount of tomato and pepper....with those changes, next time it will only be better!