Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A healthy twist on stuffed peppers! I served these with mashed cauliflower - yum!
- 1 cup quinoa (or 1/2 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup bulgar wheat)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 6 bell peppers (I use three green, three red)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Italian cheese (I used parmesan and asiago blend)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine quinoa and chicken stock in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 15-17 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the tops off of the bell peppers, remove the seeds and set aside in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Chop the tops of the peppers (will add to the meat mixture later).
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large sauce pan and saute the garlic.
- Add chopped onions and peppers. Saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to the pan. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed (5 minutes).
- Add the cooked quinoa to the meat mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Fill each pepper with the mixture. Cook in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, top each pepper with italian cheese. Cook five more minutes (cheese will melt and begin to brown).
- Serve immediately :) Enjoy!
Reading through the comments before hand I decided to add slightly less Worchestershire and it definetely didn't overpower, however I'm glad I didn't listen to the comment about making less filling because for me it perfectly filled six peppers. I loved this recipe and so did my whole family. 100% will make again.
Good - easy - delicious recipe! I highly recommend steaming the peppers before you stuff them. Also I added goat cheese to the center of mine and it was fantastic. Next time I make them, I will either omit or reduce the worcestershire sauce.
Delicious and simple! Used Italian turkey sausage to add a little heat. Will definitely be making this again and again.