Prep 2 mins
Cook 1 min
I had some pumpkin left in a can from a recipe I made and wanted to find a way to use it. This is what I came up with.
- 1⁄4 cup old fashioned oats (rounded 1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oat bran
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup water (depending on how thick you want your cereal)
- 2 -3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (more or less to taste)
- Splenda sugar substitute (or no sugar added maple syrup)
- In a bowl big enough to allow for cooking expansion place the oats and oat bran.
- Add water and microwave for 1 min 20 seconds and check it.
- If you want it thinned add some more water and microwave for another 30.
- Immediately add the pumpkin and spice and stir it in vigorously to mix well.
- Add as much sweetening as you like.
This is a really warming, creamy and tasty way to start the day. I loved it, but next time I would reduce the pumpkin pie spice a tad as I found it quite dominant. I used 1 ts unrefinded sugar and that was perfect for me.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper, I cant wait to have it again.
Made and reviewed for one of my babies during PAC October 2012.
It must just be me, but this wasn't very appetizing. I had to doctor it up a lot to make it edible. It just tasted like it was missing something and I couldn't get it sweet enough. Thanks for sharing though!
This made a nice bowl of warm goodness!! I used 2/3 cup water, and it was still plenty thick -- I think less water would have made it too gloppy and gluey. I used two heaping tablespoons of pumpkin... which I don't really like very much, and this was my first time trying it in oatmeal. I was pleasantly surprised. I also added two packets of Splenda. Thanks for posting!