Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A healthier verson of pumpkin cake!
Make and share this Healthy Pumpkin Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces pumpkin
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Cake: In a mixing bowl, beat pumpkin, sugar, and applesauce.
- Add eggs, and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, powder, spices and salt.
- Add these dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture, and beat until well blended.
- Pour batter into a greased 8x5 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool & frost.
- Frosting: Mix well until smooth.
Made it for my Daughters 1st birthday cake. For sweetener I used sugar and only about 1/2 a cup. I baked a bunch of little cakes and they turned out great! I used cream cheese frosting sweetened and colored with fruit juice. My daughter LOVED it. I liked the cake just by itself. Thanks for the great recipe!
I like some ideas from both Lasko and chef#377712 to make a healthy cake by using whole wheat flour and not the artificial sweetener (sucralose is made from sucrose but the process is entirely artificial, hydroxyl groups in the sugar are replaced with chlorine). And I love the idea of using fruit juice to sweeten and color the frosting. Thanks for the ideas!
Wow! Finally a cake that I can feel good feeding my kids! It tastes so awesome even my hubby loves it. I made it with whole wheat pastry flour but the followed rest of the recipe. It is tender and moist and very yummy. I can't believe it. Thank you so, so much. This one is going in my keeper file.