Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The original idea for this recipe came from the Bisquick website. I have made significant changes to it to adapt it to my healthy lifestyle. This recipe freezes extremely well, hence the large quantity. It's great to make on a Sunday morning, and pull out of the freezer for a quick breakfast treat during the week.
- 3 cups Bisquick
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup wheat germ (optional)
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat belgium waffle machine.
- Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl or stand mixer.
- Make a well in the center, and add in remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix in walnuts, if using.
- (Add up to another 1/2 cup of milk if your batter appears particularly thick).
- Pour batter into waffle iron per your units' instructions.
My whole family loved these! I made a couple of small changes ... only used 1 T pumpkin pie spice, used 1/2 c oil (didn't have applesauce), and did add wheat germ but not any of the other optionals. DELICIOUS! And with an excellent pumpkin flavor. Don't have a belgian waffle maker, but this do fine in a standard waffle maker. Yum. Thank you!
These were tasty. I used freshly roasted pumkin puree and doubled the sugar. I halved the recipe, and still had quite a few left over. I don't have a Belgian waffle iron, so I got a bunch of little waffles to freeze. The only problem was that my son didn't like them, and he's the reason I made them. I think that the spice was a bit much for him, since I have a stronger spice mix than the usual kind--it has cardamom and more cloves and ginger than the others I have tried. Also, I don't know if it was my iron or the recipe, but these let of alot of steam, and the waffles didn't crisp that well. Next time I make them, I will quarter the recipe and add less spice. Thank you for a great healthy waffle!
Great recipe. I had to tweak it a little to adapt to the ingredients I had on hand - but I love the healthier version! Thanks!