Recipe by ranch-girl
A tasty natural ingredient protein bar. Most of the carbs in this recipe are low glycemic. The balanced ratio of protein, carbs, and healthy fat provides a long lasting supply of energy. The omega 3 fat in the flax meal balances the omega 6 in the oats. These bars are a good source of both soluble and insoluble fiber, calcium, and magnesium.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran (not bran cereal)
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed meal
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained & mashed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl, or blend in food processor.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Spread mixture into a 9x13" greased (or non-stick) cake pan. I use a glass pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until dry to the touch and lightly browned at the edges.
- Cool and cut into 12 bars. I store them in the frig to keep them fresh.
- Alternate "orange" version: Replace honey and water with 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed, and replace cinnamon and ginger with 1 t dried orange peel.