Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Cooking Light book 'the Lazy Gourmet'. This is so quick and easy and tastes great! Plus it's good for you!
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed. (about 1 lb)
- 1 cup frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces no-salt-added chicken broth, in can
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces reduced-fat loaf processed cheese, cubed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 dried red chili pepper (optional)
- Combine first 6 ingredients in large Dutch Oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring until smooth. Add milk mixture and cheese to vegetable mixture in Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts and mixture thickens. If desired, garnish with dried red pepper.
- For a touch of "heat" stir 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper into the soup just before serving.