Recipe by Enjolinfam
These are the best hashbrowns I've ever had and it's hard to believe they are healthy and vegan! Nice and creamy. It's a great recipe to make ahead of time. It's easy to make in bulk and freeze for future use. These potatoes can also be made into patties before baking. Just form into patties on a cookie sheet instead of spreading them out, and bake the same. Remove from the oven when patties are golden brown on the bottom. May use purchased frozen potatoes, but make sure they are free of unhealthy hydrogenated oils. If you make them from home-cooked potatoes, it works best if potatoes are slightly undercooked. Cooking time doesn't count shreading and pre-cooking hashbrowns if using fresh potatoes. Recipe came from 7 Secrets Cookbook to lose weight, lower cholesterol, and reverse diabetes.
Top Review by Galley Wench
Very tasty and easy to make! Had problems getting mine to form into patties, so I added an egg and it worked perfectly. Next time I think I'll bake them in a muffin tin, maybe they will get crispy likes your photo. Thanks for sharing.
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian poultry seasoning (I use McKays vegan chicken style seasoning)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced (optional)
- 2 lbs frozen shredded hash browns (about 8 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend cashews and water or coconut milk with seasonings for at least 1 minute until smooth.
- Pour over potatoes and add the diced onion. Mix well with hands to coat all the potatoes. May freeze some of the uncooked mix for future use.
- Place on a nonstick or lightly oiled cookie sheet and place on bottom rack of unheated oven. Turn on the oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown on the edges and lightly browned in places on the bottom. NOTE: Don't overbake, or they will become dry.
- Pile in a serving dish to retain some of the moisture and serve. The serving dish may be covered and placed in a warm oven. Don't leave them warming for more than 20 minutes or they will begin to discolor.