Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are a great healthy alternative with only 127 calories each. I found this on the Biggest Loser website.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup oat bran or 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄4 cup reduced fat margarine or 1⁄4 cup light butter, melted
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten (or 2 equivalent in Egg Beaters egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries (optional)
- Place the flour, bran, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl, and stir to mix well. Set aside.
- Place the milk, marmalade, margarine/butter, egg whites and vanilla in a small bowl and stir to mix well. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the pecans or blueberries, if desired.
- Coat the bottoms only of muffin cups with non stick cooking spray (I just sprayed the whole thing.go wild!), and fill 3/4ths full with the batter. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes (I used frozen berries and it took a couple of minutes longer) or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean (I actually just lightly push the tops.if they bounce back they're done). Be careful not to overbake.
- Remove the tins from the oven, and allow to sit 5 minutes (yeah right). Refrigerating any leftovers not eaten in 24 hours.
Very good receipe and quick to make. The kids loved them and they are healthy
Great muffin! I skipped the blueberries, but think with the flavors in these, dried cranberries would be a nice addition. The recipe is missing baking powder in the ingredient list, but I added 2 teas. and that worked fine. The texture of these is really nice.