Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Who says desserts have to be horrible for you? Most of them are, and they're great - I'll admit. Then again, this takes care of my sweet tooth, and I feel much better about it. Make sure you've got good oranges for this.
- 4 oranges, big and juicy
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon chocolate shavings (optional)
- Set freezer to rapid freeze atleast 2 hours before freezing. To ensure that the oranges stand upright, cut a thin slice from the base of each. Cut a lid from each at the other end and set aside. Arefully cut down the inside of each orange and remove the pith and flesh from each. Do tihs over a bowl to catch all the juice.
- Discard pith, chop the flesh to make a chunky puree. Place in a bowl with the juice. Stir in buttermilk and honey, and pour into a freezerproof container. Freeze for 1 hour. Place the empty orange shells upside down on paper towels and let drain.
- Remove orange mixture from freezer and stir well, breaking up ice crystals that may have formed. Return to the freezer for additional 30 minutes, until semi-frozen.
- Stir again and use to fill the orange shells. Stand the filled oranges upright in a container. Freeze for an additonal hour, until frozen.
- Before serving, transfer to the refrigerator for 30 minutes to soften slightly. Serve with chocolate shavings, if you're using them.