Chef #430160's Note:
Yummy healthy bars - a riff on hellokitty's delicious bars (Extremely Healthy Fiber Packed Zucchini Carrot Cranberry Bars) It looks like a lot of ingredients but these are super easy to make and taste wonderful!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 extra large egg (or 1 regular egg and 1 egg white)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 3 tablespoons no-sugar-added apple pie filling, pureed (or no sugar apple puree)
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup nonfat milk with 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 orange, zest of
- 2 cups zucchini, grated (about 2 large zucchinis)
- 1 cup carrot, grated (about 2 medium sized carrots)
- 1 medium apple, grated
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or 1 cup mixed dried fruit, I like cranberries, chopped figs and currants)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13” cake or brownie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2If using regular milk instead of buttermilk, mix together milk with lemon juice. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- 3Beat egg well, then add both sugars, oil and beat together again. Add in vanilla, orange zest, zucchini, carrots, apple, cranberries and the buttermilk/milk and lemon mixture. Mix together well.
- 4Sift the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, and salt into another bowl. Stir in oat bran and nuts, if adding, and mix together until combined.
- 5Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mix together until just combined (do not over-mix). Spoon the mixture into the oiled pan.
- 6Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until wooden stick inserted into the middle comes out clean and the bars are not sticky in the middle. Be careful not to over cook or bars will become dry and tough.
- 7Once cool, turn out onto board and cut into 24 bars. Bars will keep covered in the fridge for 4-6 days, or wrap individual bars with clingwrap and freeze.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Orange and Cranberry Breakfast Bars
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.6
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 10.6 mg
- Sodium 110.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-sugar-added apple pie filling
oranges, zest of