This recipe was printed in my local paper, The Virginian-Pilot, on September 30, 2009. This recipe won 1st place at the Virginia State Fair (in the oatmeal cookies category.) It was submitted by Jan Tucker, of Virginia Beach. ** Note: Cookies have no cholesterol or saturated fat except for the nuts.
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend first five ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix next 7 ingredients (dry ingredients).
- Stir a spoonful of flour mixture into fruit and nuts to separate fruit.
- Add dry ingredients to oil mixture, then stir in fruit and nuts.
- Drop 1 1/2 tablespoons onto parchment-paper-covered baking sheet.
- Flatten slightly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly on pan and then transfer to rack to cool completely before storing.
Best oatmeal cookies I've ever had! I made a few changes though. I used splenda instead of granulated sugar, used only 3/4 cup flour and substitued the other 1 cup with oatmeal. Also I used hershey's sugar free chocolate morsels instead of the fruit and nuts :) They turned out moist, chewy, and very flavorful!
I loved these cookies. I didn't have wheat germ so I replaced with grinded up oatmeal instead. I did use the 3 egg whites unlike some others who used whole eggs instead. I used 1 cup of brown sugar only, no white sugar. I used 3/4 cup white flour, and 1 cup wheat flour. And added no fruits, just dark chocolate chips. Oh yeah, I added a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed. These cookies are so moist and delicious. I will definitely be making again.
yum! These are so good! I used 2 eggs in place of egg whites, skipped the cranberries and apricots and used raisins instead. They turned out wonderful! I cooked them for 8 minutes and they turned out nice and soft. So good!