Recipe by Kim A. Heaphy
Here is a twist on a traditional muffin.
Top Review by Crochet Mama
I really liked these, and so did my kiddos (4yo and 1yo). I didn't have any coconut, so that was not added, and I had a lonely plum in the fridge, so that was peeled, chopped, and added to the mix along with the other fruits. I also did not have to bake these as long; 25 minutes was enough.
I'd like to try these again, with brown sugar for half of the sugar called for.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup apple, peeled cored and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the first six ingredients together, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, nutmet, cinnamon and salt. Then add the next five ingredients, carrots, apples, raisins, coconut and nuts.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, oil, apple sauce, orange juice and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into well greased muffin tins (filled to the top).
- Bake for 35 minutes or until springy to touch or until knife comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then turn out on a rack.