1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
from "peanut butter and julie" - http://www.peanutbutterandjulie.typepad.com/peanut_butter_and_julie/2010/06/healthy-morning-muffins-and-bread.html
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cups wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large granny smith apples, coarsely grated
- 2 1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (I use a mix of sweetened and unsweetened)
- 1 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, chopped dates, diced figs, etc.)
- 1 cup lightly toasted chopped pecans
- 1Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Spray a large loaf pan and one 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick baking spray. Alternatively, you may opt to line the muffin cups with paper liners, but spritz the insides of the liners with baking spray to ensure that the muffins do not stick.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, flour, wheat bran, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- 3Squeeze the excess liquid from the grated apples and place the apples in a separate large bowl. Add the yogurt, honey, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla and stir to blend.
- 4Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until just blended. Stir in the flax seeds, coconut, dried fruit, and pecans.
- 5Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and muffin tins. Bake at 375F until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean, 20-25 minutes for the muffins and 55-65 minutes for the bread. Let the pans cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then carefully un-mold. Cool completely.
- 6Store the bread/muffins in the refrigerator, wrapped in plastic wrap or sealed in zip-top bags.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Morning Bread and Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.4
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 283.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: