Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
These low-fat, low-cal, high protein and high fiber vegetable quiches are the perfect way to start your day. Go to my Youtube or Facebook page: "Nikki Dinki Cooking" for a "How To" video on making these!
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 medium leek
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 eggs
- 7 egg whites
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Sauté mushrooms for 2-3min in a pan sprayed with cooking spray over med heat.
- Add leeks, peppers and garlic and saute for another 5-7min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and put aside to semi-cool.
- Beat together eggs, milk, paprika, and hot sauce.
- Spray a muffin pan and pour egg mixture in muffin tins filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Then add the vegetable mixture to each one and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for approx 25min until golden brown.
- Eat immediately or cool on cooling rack and store in the fridge.
- To reheat put them on high in the microwave for 30sec to 1min or in the toaster oven on 400 degrees for 7-10min.
OMG!!! I just made these to have for my low cal diet. I did make a couple of modifications out of taste and diet. I used spinach instead of the leeks and peppers, used skim milk, egg beaters (2 cups) instead of eggs, and used apple smoked gruyere instead of parm. I just had to try one tonight because they made the house smell so good, and they were unvbelievable!! A couple of notes, I had to cook them about 45 minutes because they still had liquid coming out after 25 and 35 minutes (but that might be the egg beaters) and next time I will cook them in muffin cups because they stuck to the pan a bit. But, Nikki, such an awesome recipe!!!! Thank you so much!!!
These came out WONDERFULLY. Thanks, Nikki! I used 7 eggs instead of the eggs/whites because I feel weird about just using whites in things and wasting the yolks - yolks are the best part! :) Also added some bacon bits - makes them a tiny bit unhealthier but added an awesome dimension of flavor.
Excellent! Followed recipe and they turned out really nice. Next time I might change up the veggies, maybe add ham or turkey, who knows. Might try with only egg whites to keep it even healthier.