Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From the World's Healthiest Foods website: I recently started a healthy (almost vegetarian) diet. This is one of the few recipes I've found that has plenty of flavor and is vitamin packed. Don't overcook this soup or the beans and veggies will get mushy!Note: Make sure to finely chop the collard greens or the soup will be quite bitter. I found 1/4" pieces were perfect for my taste.
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chicken broth or 1 tablespoon vegetable broth
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini, diced 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped collard greens
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) canrinsed black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pumpkin seeds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot. Sauté onion, garlic, and green peppers in broth over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chili powder, mix in well and add broth, zucchini, collard greens and tomatoes. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, green chili, oregano, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil on high heat. Once it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes longer. (Simmering uncovered enhances the flavor)
- Add chopped cilantro, pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper.
- I like to slice some avocado on top as well.
This is a cross between a soup and a stew. I turned it into more of a stew by omitting the pumpkin seeds and adding in 2 cups of cooked brown rice with the cilantro. It fits my Weight Watchers plan at 5 points a serving, including the rice. It is very filling and VERY delicious!!!
This is good - a nice, warming meal with lots of healthy veggies. It's also a good way to use up leftover veggies. Thanks for sharing!