Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A healthy bowl of goodness just bursting with flavor!
For the Rice
- 1⁄2 cup long grain brown rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, diced small
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- granulated garlic
- onion powder
- cracked black pepper
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half, lengthwise
- 2 lime wedges, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (about 4 quarts). Add rice and boil for 30-40 minutes, or until rice is tender. Drain.
- While rice is cooking, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Lightly season both sides of each chicken breast with cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Coat inside of pan with cooking spray and cook chicken about 3 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.
- In the same skillet (on medium heat) add 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Add onion and jalapeño; cook for 1-2 minutes, or until onions are soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add beans and cook for 1 minute, or until heated through. Mix the onion and bean mixture with the cooked/drained rice and cilantro. Divide mixture evenly among 2 bowls.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. In each bowl add half of the chicken, half of the avocado, half of the tomatoes, and 1 lime wedge. Squeeze lime wedge over each rice bowl.