Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
this is spectacular. i have made it twice for 2 different groups of people and everyone has loved it. each serving(not including any additional toppings) is less than 100 calories. the polenta can be made ahead and refrigerated to save time.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal (i use stone ground which is coarse)
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) candrained black beans
- 3⁄4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces green chilies
- taco seasoning
- boil water and salt.
- add cornmeal.
- reduce heat to medium low and whisk until thickened about 5 minutes.
- whisk in about half a packet of taco seasoning and the greeen chilis.
- spread polenta mixture into pie pan coated with cooking spray.
- bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- mix beans and cheese and spread on top of polenta.
- bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
- let cool 5 minutes prior to slicing.
- top with taco garnishes such as fat free sour cream, jalepeno slices, chopped tomato, onion,and black olives.
Sorry, I wasn't a fan. Reading everyone's suggestions I added meat to mine. The meat mixture was good but the cornbread it's self was not. I think it would be very good it you made the cornbread by the directions then added the mixture on top. This just didn't do it for me.
I really liked the flavor of this dish and it was especially good with all the toppings. BF on the other hand said he would like it better if it had hamburger in it too. Of course he's a carnivore! I used pinto instead of black beans, just personal preference and added seasoning to the beans as well. Very easy and filling dish. Thanks for posting.
This was very good. I doubled the recipe and used a spring-form cake pan. Mine needed to cool for about a half hour to set up. Next time I'll add some fresh corn kernels to the polenta for some added texture. Thanks!