Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I originally got this idea watching Aaron McCargo on the food network. Of course, his were fried and I am trying to watch my weight. After a few attempts, I have come up with this super easy baked version. I figured out the nutrition facts for four servings, including chips, and it comes out to about 295 calories and 10 grams of fat per serving (approximately 2.5 strips).
- 1⁄2 cup colby-monterey jack cheese (shredded)
- 1 cup corn chips, blue (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (I use Penzey's Bold Taco Seasoning)
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (I use Cholula)
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders (or cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, combine cheese, crushed corn chips and taco seasoning.
- Place in a shallow dish (a pie pan works nicely).
- In another shallow dish, combine egg substitute and hot sauce.
- One at a time, dip chicken strips in egg substitute mix; completely coat the chicken strip.
- Completely coat in corn chip mixture.
- Place strips in a 9x13 pan coated with non-stick spray.
- Once all chicken strips are coated and in the pan, spray with more non-stick spray (I use canola oil).
- Bake strips for about 30 minutes or until no longer pink in the middle.
Delicious! When you say "corn chips" my husband thinks Fritos, so that's what he bought instead of tortilla chips. It pretty much tasted like home-make chili cheese Fritos once we added the spices and cheese, and it was very tasty. Next time we'll make it with tortilla chips to see which version we like better, but this will definitely be added to our repertoire!
Great dinner item for the kids and tastier for me than regular chicken tenders! Thanks
This recipe made some crisp and flavorful chicken tenders! I used regular corn chips and Amazing Taco Seasoning. The cheese added great flavor to this. Thanks for posting your recipe! Made for Spring PAC 2010