Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This meatloaf has so many goodies in it I just call it health loaf! Everyone that has ever tried it loves it, and they are shocked when I tell them how many superfoods are hidden inside. I like to use venison, and I grind several pounds at once and divide it into loaves and freeze it. An alternative might be to use a food processor for the nuts and vegetables, then mix as you normally would. Then on meatloaf night, I thaw one out and throw it in the oven. These amounts are an estimate, I try to gauge how well the ground meat will stay together. Add an extra egg or a little extra oatmeal if you feel it's necessary. Other additions I'm considering: tofu, black beans.
- 10 lbs lean ground beef or 10 lbs venison
- 4 eggs or 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup walnuts
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup mushroom
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion
- 1⁄4 medium red bell pepper
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup milled flax seed
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- Grind or process all ingredients together.
- Shape into loaves according to your family size. I have even read about baking meatloaf in muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 until center reaches 160, usually about 30 minutes.
I made this recipe using all ground bison. It was fantastic! Cooking time was a little longer... I would maybe use more seasoning of some sort as well...
I made this recipe using 1/2 ground sirloin & 1/2 ground turkey. It tasted yummy & I felt good about eating it.