Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Better Homes and Gardens The Dieter's Cookbook circa 1982... So Delicious. The potatoes are INSIDE THE MEATLOAF. Don't even know its diet food... MEATLOAF AT its best. 1 serving = 3 lean meat exchanges, 1/2 bread, 1 veg exchange, 1 1/2 fat I like to use the low sugar heinz and add a tad bit when i put it in the oven.
- 2 potatoes, medium peeled cut up
- 29.58 ml parsley, snipped
- 0.59 ml thyme, dried crushed
- 0.59 ml basil, dried crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 118.29 ml saltine crackers (14 crackers)
- 78.07 ml tomato sauce
- 59.14 ml onion, finely chopped
- 29.58 ml green peppers, finely chopped
- 3.69 ml salt
- 680.38 g ground beef (15% fat)
- 59.14 ml ketchup
- 1.23 ml dry mustard
- Cook potatoes, covered, in boiling salted water about 20 minutes or till tender; drain, reserving liquid. Mash potatoes, adding about 3 T of the reserved liquid to make a stiff consistency. Stir in parsley, thyme, and marjoram, Season to taste with salt and pepper; set the potatoes aside.
- IN a large bowl stir together eggs, cracker crumbs, tomato sauce, onion, green pepper, and the 3/4 t salt.
- Add beef; mix well. On waxed paper pat beef mixture into a 10x8 inch rectangle; spoon potato mixture lengthwise down center of beef mixture.
- Fold sides over potato mixture; seal. Place loaf, seam side down, on large baking pan. Bake in a 350 oven 45 mines.
- Heat together ketchup and dry mustard and spoon over meatloaf in last 10 min of cooking.