Recipe by College Girl
Better Homes and Gardens The Dieter's Cookbook circa 1982... So Delicious. The potatoes are INSIDE THE MEATLOAF. Don't even know its diet food... MEATLOAF AT its best. 1 serving = 3 lean meat exchanges, 1/2 bread, 1 veg exchange, 1 1/2 fat I like to use the low sugar heinz and add a tad bit when i put it in the oven.
- 2 potatoes, medium peeled cut up
- 2 tablespoons parsley, snipped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme, dried crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon basil, dried crushed
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup saltine crackers (14 crackers)
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (15% fat)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes, covered, in boiling salted water about 20 minutes or till tender; drain, reserving liquid. Mash potatoes, adding about 3 T of the reserved liquid to make a stiff consistency. Stir in parsley, thyme, and marjoram, Season to taste with salt and pepper; set the potatoes aside.
- IN a large bowl stir together eggs, cracker crumbs, tomato sauce, onion, green pepper, and the 3/4 t salt.
- Add beef; mix well. On waxed paper pat beef mixture into a 10x8 inch rectangle; spoon potato mixture lengthwise down center of beef mixture.
- Fold sides over potato mixture; seal. Place loaf, seam side down, on large baking pan. Bake in a 350 oven 45 mines.
- Heat together ketchup and dry mustard and spoon over meatloaf in last 10 min of cooking.