Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
This recipe is for the healthy version of the McDonald's Egg McMuffin by Todd Wilbur. He is a celebrity chef and author of Top Secret Recipes cookbooks. He copies restaurant meals to make regular and light versions. For this he made it on the Dr. Oz show to show how to cut the fat and calories of the fast-food version of this classic breakfast sandwich and still have the great taste! The fast-food version is 300 calories and 12 grams of fat, but with a few healthier substitutions, you can whip it up with 232 calories and 8 grams of fat. Substitute sausage or bacon or any ingredients you prefer to make the taste and calorie/fat count uniquely yours. I use a small egg fry pan from Joie de Vivre from Amazon. It makes the eggs perfect every time. You can also use an egg ring, tuna can or metal cookie cutter. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 1 English muffin (low-fat, whole- wheat)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 slice turkey bacon (extra-lean and preferably nitrate-free)
- 1 slice low-fat American cheese
- Split the English muffin and toast, or grill the faces until brown in a hot pan set over medium heat. Keep the pan hot. Set English muffin aside.
- Find a shallow can, such as an 8-ounce sliced-pineapple can that is the same diameter as the English muffin. Cut off both ends of the can and thoroughly clean it (be careful of any sharp edges). Spray a coating of nonstick spray on the inside of the can, and place it into the hot pan so it heats up.
- When the can is hot, spray more nonstick spray over the surface of the pan, and crack the egg into the can. Salt the egg.
- Place the slice of turkey bacon into the same pan to heat up while the egg cooks.
- When the egg seems to be firming up on top, use a knife to scrape around the edge of the can to help release the egg. Carefully pull the can off the egg, then flip the egg over and cook for an additional minute or so.
- Build the sandwich by first placing the slice of American cheese on the bottom half of the English muffin. Place the egg on top of the cheese. Stack the turkey bacon on the egg. Top the sandwich off with the top half of the English muffin.
- If desired, microwave the sandwich for 10 to 15 seconds, until warm and the cheese has melted, and serve immediately.