Top Review by seesko
I made as stated except I added some chopped green onions. This was enjoyed by all. Thanks for a healthy way to make mashed potatoes. Yes, I said healthy, it is a misconception that potatoes are bad for you. They aren't, however, the toppings and ways we make potatoes are. This was a great way to make them healthy and fit into our diet plan.
- water, to cover potatoes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, for boiling
- 2 lbs red potatoes
- 4 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 egg (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash potatoes and cut off any eyes. Do not peel them. Cut them in quarters and place in good sized pot. Fill with enough water to cover potatoes and add salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until tender.
- Drain water and smash the potatoes in the pot with a potato masher.
- Add cream cheese and half the milk and continue to smash with masher. Add egg too if desired (it adds to both the fluffy texture and a nice color).
- Add remaining milk as needed and most of the cheddar cheese. (You might need more milk, depending on your potatoes).
- Add pepper to taste and garnish with remaining cheddar cheese.