2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Jim Eiler's Note:
This recipe is a family favorite and it is healthy too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms or 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 14 uncooked manicotti
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat oven 350 degrees.
- 2Cook ground beef, onion and garlic in 10-in nonstick skillet, stirring frequently, until beef is brown; drain.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, mushrooms, parsley, basil, fennel seed and salt; break up tomatoes.
- 4Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- 5Cover and Simmer 10 minutes.
- 6Spoon about 1/3 if the beef mixture into ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13X9X2 inches.
- 7Mix cottage cheese, 1/3 Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, pepper, and spinach.
- 8Fill uncooked manicotti shells with spinach mixture.
- 9Place shells on beef mixture in baking dish.
- 10Pour remaining beef mixture over shells, covering shells completely.
- 11Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.
- 12Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours or until manicotti shells are tender.
Browse Our Top Manicotti Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Manicotti Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Manicotti
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.7
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.7 mg
- Sodium 552.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: