Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Yummy chowder without potatoes. Reduced carb.
Make and share this Healthy Manhattan Clam Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams, drained (juice reserved)
- 30 ounces clam juice or 30 ounces broth or 30 ounces water
- 3 ounces salt pork, finely minced
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 1 chopped celery rib
- 1 leek, cleaned well and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (to taste)
- 3 small turnips, peeled and diced
- Place salt pork into your soup pot and cook until fat renders and salt pork browns lightly (no need to drain fat unless you want to).
- Add the onion, celery, leek, green pepper and garlic, and cook, stirring, until veggies become tender.
- Add broth/water, reserved clam juice, undrained tomatoes (if you use fresh tomato you may want to add some tomato juice, broth, or water to compensate), bay leaf, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper, Tabasco, worcestershire, and Old Bay seasoning.
- Stir well, bring to a boil and then lower heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add chopped turnips and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes more.
- Add drained clams and heat for about 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Discard bay leaf before serving and check seasonings to see if adjustment is necessary.