Recipe by Silly_Mommy
Developed this recipe on my own, inspired by multiple recipes I found online. The evaporated milk helps the cheese sauce stay creamy and not curdle when cooked. 100% whole wheat pasta and bread give this recipe a healthy take that adults and children will love!
Top Review by retro.mama
I wouldn't really say that 507 calories is a healthy dish by any standard. It is healthier since you use whole wheat noodles, and whole wheat bread for the topping. But 255 fat calories is in no way a healthy dish. Whole wheat ingredients or not. The recipe need's 3 cans of evaporated milk, (which is supposed to be on here but isn't) which I think is entirely too much. Or maybe its because I used fat free evaporated milk, to cut down on the caloric intake. Either way it was too much liquid for the inside of the dish. The top was completely the opposite, dry. I had high hopes for this mac and cheese, but it was not what I wanted it to be :( It was very bland. I followed all directions to a T, and used high quality organic food, and made no changes except for substituting the fat free evaporated milk in ours. :(
- 473.18 ml whole wheat pasta
- 3 (1020.58 g) can evaporated milk
- 59.16 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.16 ml butter
- 354.88 ml sharp cheddar cheese
- 118.29 ml monterey jack cheese
- 0.59 ml nutmeg
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cayenne pepper
- 3 slice whole wheat bread
- 118.29 ml sharp cheddar cheese
- 29.58 ml butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add macaroni, bring to a boil, then simmer on medium-high heat until al dente (a little less than fully cooked). Set aside ½ cup of pasta water. Drain pasta and immediately rinse with cold water.
- In the same pot used for the macaroni, melt butter and add flour. Whisk until mixture looks like a paste and is light beige in color. Slowly pour in evaporated milk while whisking, and continue until fully incorperated. Simmer and stir for another 3-4 minutes for sauce to thicken Stir in nutmeg, mustard, and salt.
- Remove from heat and add cheese and pasta water. Continue stiring until cheese is fully melted. Pour macaroni back into and stir until fully mixed with sauce.
- (This step is for topping.) Break apart bread in large peices and pulse in food processor with melted butter until bread is in small crumbs. Mix with cheese and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a 9x13 casserole dishes and spread bread/cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven when top is slightly browned and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.