1/1 Photo of Healthy Mac & Cheese With Bechamel-Cheddar Sauce
Developed this recipe on my own, inspired by multiple recipes I found online. The evaporated milk helps the cheese sauce stay creamy and not curdle when cooked. 100% whole wheat pasta and bread give this recipe a healthy take that adults and children will love!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add macaroni, bring to a boil, then simmer on medium-high heat until al dente (a little less than fully cooked). Set aside ½ cup of pasta water. Drain pasta and immediately rinse with cold water.
- 2In the same pot used for the macaroni, melt butter and add flour. Whisk until mixture looks like a paste and is light beige in color. Slowly pour in evaporated milk while whisking, and continue until fully incorperated. Simmer and stir for another 3-4 minutes for sauce to thicken Stir in nutmeg, mustard, and salt.
- 3Remove from heat and add cheese and pasta water. Continue stiring until cheese is fully melted. Pour macaroni back into and stir until fully mixed with sauce.
- 4(This step is for topping.) Break apart bread in large peices and pulse in food processor with melted butter until bread is in small crumbs. Mix with cheese and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- 5Pour macaroni mixture into a 9x13 casserole dishes and spread bread/cheese mixture over the top.
- 6Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- 7Remove from oven when top is slightly browned and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Mac & Cheese With Bechamel-Cheddar Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.1
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.7 mg
- Sodium 1022.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 30.9 g