Developed this recipe on my own, inspired by multiple recipes I found online. The evaporated milk helps the cheese sauce stay creamy and not curdle when cooked. 100% whole wheat pasta and bread give this recipe a healthy take that adults and children will love!
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta
- 3 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large pot, bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Add macaroni, bring to a boil, then simmer on medium-high heat until al dente (a little less than fully cooked). Set aside ½ cup of pasta water. Drain pasta and immediately rinse with cold water.
- In the same pot used for the macaroni, melt butter and add flour. Whisk until mixture looks like a paste and is light beige in color. Slowly pour in evaporated milk while whisking, and continue until fully incorperated. Simmer and stir for another 3-4 minutes for sauce to thicken Stir in nutmeg, mustard, and salt.
- Remove from heat and add cheese and pasta water. Continue stiring until cheese is fully melted. Pour macaroni back into and stir until fully mixed with sauce.
- (This step is for topping.) Break apart bread in large peices and pulse in food processor with melted butter until bread is in small crumbs. Mix with cheese and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a 9x13 casserole dishes and spread bread/cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven when top is slightly browned and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.