Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Healthy College Cookbook A great alternative to Kraft Mac and Cheese, but still cheap, cheesy, and fast!
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni
- 1 cup 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- Cook macaroni in a large pot according to package directions. Drain, and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, combine the cheese and yogurt in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, and stiff in the mustard.
- Add cooked macaroni to the butter mixture, and toss to coat.
- Stir in the cheese mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir until cheese is fully melted.
This is such a great cheat recipe. It takes no time at all and definitely tricks you into thinking you're indulging. I used nonfat plain Greek yogurt and did 1/2 sharp cheddar, 1/2 pepperjack cheese. So creamy and delicious, a great base recipe for healthy mac n cheese with your favorite mix-ins.
I really liked this--I was craving mac & cheese (and feeling like total yuck so little energy to do any cooking). Thankfully, this came together really quick. I added some sauteed garlic, onions, tomatoes, & mushrooms for extra health, and used a garlic/basil pasta. Really hit the spot when I needed a true pick-me-up!
Made this for a neighbor couple who really enjoy mac & cheese (& I cook for them from time to time ~ More often during PAC!) & my little taste test tells me that this is yet another version of this comfoft food that I want to make for myself another time! Easy to prepare & great taste, too! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]