Recipe by I Can't Believe It's Healthy
This recipe is truly Lemon Meringue Waffles, I just wanted to post this as I made some healthy changes and it is easier for me to remember them if i have it as a separate recipe :) These waffles are to die for. Not only are they made good for you, I have boosted the bright lemon flavour, and despite the changes they are still tall and light. Enjoy!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or 2 cups Robin Hood Nutri Flour Blend or 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon smooth applesauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and icing sugar in a large bowl.
- separate egg, and whisk together the egg yolk, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, applesauce, and canola oil.
- beat the egg white in a separate bowl until peaks form.
- add the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until hardly combined.
- fold in the egg white with a large spoon or spatula until distributed.
- grease waffle iron, and cook the waffles.
- these freeze very well.