These are delicious, chewy muffins that burst with blueberries! Very wholesome, healthy, and low-fat! Mmmm! Note: cutting out the small amount of oil in the recipe will alter the texture.
- 1 cup toasted quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup blueberries (thawed and VERY well drained if frozen) or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Toast oats in a dry saucepan over medium heat until browned.
- Combine oats and milk in a bowl and let stand for 20-35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add brown sugar, applesauce, egg, and vanilla to the oat and milk mixture and mix well.
- Whisk the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mix the dry into the wet until JUST combined, and fold in the blueberries (or chocolate chips).
- Scoop batter into greased muffin tin and bake for 27-35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from tin and putting on cooling rack.