Recipe by I Can't Believe It's Healthy
This is the first veggie burger I have ever tried and I was very impressed. I am not vegetarian, But I really enjoyed these! I don't know how these compare up to other black bean burgers, but I know these are super cheap, healthy, and very yummy! I found this recipe somewhere on Google and changed it to my tastes. I don't think they will hold up enough to be just thrown on the BBQ because these are soft burgers, but if you refrigerate your leftovers they are nice and firm and work in the oven or BBQ the next day after they were fried. Don't be scared to lightly fry these because they are so low fat anyways, so you still aren't hurting yourself! Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons pureed onions (I prefer green onions)
- 1 cup black beans, well drained
- 1 -3 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, very well crumbled
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mash the beans until almost smooth (or puree with the onions).
- Add onions and the rest of the ingredients, except the oil, adding the flour a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is at your desired consistency.
- Form bean mixture into flat patties and fry patties in a small amount of oil until slightly firm.
- Serve topped with hummus or a Greek feta salad salad dressing, spread on a whole wheat bun. I tried these with the usual ketchup and they weren't nearly as good -- trust me.