Recipe by Keeferop
This bread is a combination of zucchini and banana bread, and it is a wonderful way to use up old bananas and dip into that summer harvest of zucchini. The bread tastes more like banana bread than zucchini bread, but it has the added nutritional benefits of vegetables. This bread is lower in fat that the standard banana/zucchini bread because applesauce replaces some of the oil in the recipe. Still using some oil, however, will prevent the bread from getting rubbery. Experiment by using pumpkin instead of bananas during the autumn months or by adding walnuts and dates! This recipe makes 2 loaves. Enjoy!
Top Review by Ohleaveus
Used only whole wheat flour for my muffins. Substituted the oil for my latest miracle ingredient....Plain Non-Fat Greek Yogurt! 1 cup of yogurt instead of the oil/applesauce combo. Less calories, less sugar, and mega protein! I used only 1/2 cup sugar. I will try adding an extra banana and completely omitting extra sugar next time. I used cranberries so that upped the sweetness. Also added 1/2 cup ground flax seed. AND since everyone loves a crunchy topping on their muffin, but streusel is sooo not healthy.... I used Kashi GoLean Crunch on top! Just crushed it a little bit smaller. Again a little bit of extra protein :-) Baked 25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through. Made 24 muffins.
- 236.59 ml white flour
- 236.59 ml wheat flour
- 236.59 ml rolled oats (Quaker Old Fashioned Oats)
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 1.23 ml freshly ground nutmeg
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4 eggs (or Egg Beaters to cut some calories)
- 295.73 ml white sugar
- 59.14 ml oil
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 2 medium overripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the sweeter)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.18 ml shredded zucchini
- 236.59 ml raisins (or dates or walnuts)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together white flour, wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.
- Add the sugar, oil, applesauce, and mashed bananas to the eggs; mix well.
- Add the vanilla.
- Combine the wet and dry mixtures. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the zucchini and raisins.
- Pour into 2 lightly greased loaf pans (9x5-inch).
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.