Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a great, chewy baked oatmeal recipe that is loaded with fruit! Bananas, apples, blueberries, and a hint of orange make this a great breakfast choice... not to mention low-fat, lower-calorie, lower sugar, and high-fibre!
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄3 cup chunky applesauce (if you only have smooth applesauce, use 1/4 applesauce diced apples to make up the rest of the 1/3 c)
- finely diced apple, to make up the rest of the 1/3 cup
- 1⁄3 cup chunky mashed banana (coarsly mashed so there are still chunks)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon banana extract (banana flavour)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries, can be subbed for other berries
- Mix all ingredients and pour into a lightly greased 8x8 dish the night before. Cover and refridgerate until morning.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Bake 30-45 minutes.
- Serve topped with extra skim milk, maple syrup to sweeten, and additional berries.
This was pretty tasty. I had to make a few substitutes based on things on hand. I had no banana or banana extract. I subbed plum puree for bananas and vanilla extract instead. This made it not nearly as sweet. I also used 2 eggs instead of the egg substitute. I added extra blueberries and no orange rind but will next time. I will make this again - everyone in the whole family liked it.
My boyfriend and I both enjoyed this. I've never had baked oatmeal, so I didn't know what to expect. I cooked for 40 minutes and it was pretty chewy, kind of a cake-like consistency. I didn't have applesauce, so I used a whole small apple diced and a little more milk. Instead of mashing the banana, I just chopped up a whole one and used two eggs instead of substitute. I didn't have banana extract, so I used almond. It would also be good with vanilla. I also only used 1/4 cup brown sugar and it was still sweet enough. This is a great recipe that is easily adjusted based on what you have on hand. Thanks for sharing!
Very easy to make. I used one small banana. Vanilla instead of banana extract and one egg instead of substitute. My son asked for more blueberries next time.