Recipe by Likkel
I was looking for a hot cereal that was both low carb and good for you. I was glad to have found one in this combination! This recipe makes enough dry cereal to fill a quart jar. An added bonus is that my children really enjoy this cereal as well and the cereal can be easily and quickly cooked in either the microwave or on the stove top.
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, coarsely ground (or you can use raw almonds, filberts, pecans, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds, coarsely ground (or you can use shelled raw pumpkin seeds)
- 1 cup flax seed, ground to a meal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat bran
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1 cup whey protein powder (I use vanilla or chocolate EAS Simply Whey powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all the ingredients together until well blended and then pour into a quart jar (or other sealed container) until ready to use. It is best to store the cereal in the refrigerator to maintain its optimum nutrition.
- For one serving:.
- Stove Top: Place 1/4 cup of the cereal in to a small pan and stir in 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil; turn down the heat to low and stir, allowing the cereal to simmer for a full minute or two until thickened.
- Microwave: Place 1/4 cup of the cereal into a 2 cup microwavable bowl. Add 1/2 cup water, stir and then cook in the microwave on high for 1 minute (time will vary depending on the type and power of microwave). Just keep an eye on it the first time to insure that cereal doesn't over flow the bowl while heating. Stir and then let the cereal rest for 2 minutes to thicken.
- *I like my cereal sprinkled with a small package of Splenda, but the kids opt for a teaspoon of brown sugar and a little cream or milk.