Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
These days, who isn't on a budget at the grocery store? I found this recipe on the side of a bag of lentils - it's pretty good! This recipe yields a lot of dip so you may want to halve it. I prefer monterey jack cheese in this recipe but you can use whatever cheese you like!
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell peppers (optional) or 1 cup green bell pepper (optional)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- red pepper flakes
- Cook lentils in broth until tender.(about 20 minutes).
- In a skillet, saute onions and pepper (if using) until onions are translucent and peppers are slightly tender.
- In baking dish, combine lentils, diced onion, cheese and chopped pepper (optional). Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Serve with crackers, tortilla chips, melba toast or bruschetta.
This was excellent! Very rich flavor, and a hearty meal. Next time I'll puree half of it to get more of a "dip" consistency, but I'll definitely be making this often. Thanks for sharing!