Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Goodies to make for halloween
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 32 slices whole wheat bread or 32 slices pumpernickel bread
- 16 slices deli ham or 16 slices turkey
- 16 slices low-fat American cheese (orange)
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and ketchup. Spread some of mayonnaise mixture on one side of 16 of the slices of bread. Top each of the 16 slices with ham or turkey, then 1 slice of cheese. Top with the remaining slices of toast. Use 4-inch pumpkin cookie cutter to cut each sandwich. Remove the top slice of toast from each sandwich, then use the tip of a paring knife to cut out eyes, nose and a mouth. Place the bread back on the sandwich so the orange cheese shows through the holes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Accompaniments: Make mini jack-o'-lanterns by using the tip of a knife to cut eyes, a nose and mouth into the peel of a small orange. Cut just deep enough to expose the white pith. For bloody fingers, dip baby carrots into a sauce made by mixing ketchup with an Italian seasoning blend and enough cranberry juice to give the sauce a "bloody" consistency.