Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Afraid that my healthy (no meat, low fat, low salt) Italian vegetable soup was not going to be tasty, I prepared a chicken soup to add before serving, but it turned out so sweet and delicious I stored away the chicken soup for another night! ...... The optional vegetables can also be cauliflower, mushrooms, burdock root, bell peppers, potatoes, etc. Try the vegetable that is said to be healthy but you don't usually eat! The green stars in the photo are slices of poached okra added before serving. They are nutritious and adds thickness to any soup you make.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15g) or 1 tablespoon any vegetable oil (15g)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1 cup broccoli (optional)
- 1 cup French beans (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom (any kind) (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup okra (optional)
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup (80g)
- 1 dash black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste, if you have more water)
- In a pot of 3-4 quarts, sauté garlic in vegetable oil in low heat. Before it turns brown, add onion, turn up the heat and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add all the diced vegetables.
- Add water to cover all vegetables and more water to 2 inches above the vegetables. (Vegetables give water while cooking so don't put in too much water if you want a really hearty soup).
- Add all the seasonings. Simmer for 2-3 hours. (I use a no-heat thermal pot and let sit for 12 hours. If you simmer with heat, remember to add water as necessary).