Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious way to eat your veggies! I Love the flavors in this and my kids gobbled it up. We like to eat it over brown rice, but I think it would be nice on its own as well. Recipe created by hubby Jason.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 small zucchini (small to medium size)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup vegetarian chicken broth or 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- cooked brown rice (optional)
- Heat canola oil in pan with zuccini on medium high until they begin to brown.
- Move zuccini one side of the pan, add more oil, and cook garlic for about 3-5 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Add all remaining ingredients (except optional walnuts and brown rice!) and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Take off the stove and stir in the walnuts if using them.
- Serve and enjoy by itself or over cooked brown rice.
5 Stars, DH to plant zucchini next year so we can enjoy this often. Served this with poached tilapia and rice; this will be a frequent menu in our rotation (will make brown rice when time permits). Very simple to make. There were just enough Mexican spices (cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper) to give zip without overpowering. Forgot to add chopped walnuts this time, but that can only make this better. Yummy! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.
What a lovely lunch this made. I choose no walnuts and used the bed of brown rice. There are no black olives in the house so I used green and that suited me fine. The other thing is that I used no oil at all and cooked the veggies in the broth. The seasoning was just right. Very tasty :D