A friend gave me a recipe for lactation cookies but I can devour those things like they're water, so I wanted to make them a tad bit healthier to ease the guilt. :) One note is that if you are using table salt, reduce the salt to 1 teaspoon! I love the way sea salt adds a little more crunch and depth to these cookies. So satisfying. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons brewer's yeast
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (extra thick)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (large flakes)
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1Preheat oven to 350 F and put parchment paper down on a large cookie sheet.
- 2Combine 2 TB flax seed meal with 4 TB water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- 3Place butter and sugar in large bowl. Use hand mixer to cream until light and fluffy. Add flax/water mixture (will be very gelatinous) and mix well. Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well. Lastly, add vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- 4In a medium bowl, mix flours, sea salt, baking soda and brewer's yeast.
- 5In a few batches, add dry ingredients in medium bowl to the butter/sugar mixture in the large bowl. Mix thoroughly (you may have to switch to a wooden spoon during this step, as the dough gets thick!).
- 6Add in oats, chocolate chips, coconut flakes and almonds, mixing well.
- 7Scoop dough onto cookie sheet with space between the cookies.
- 8Bake for about 15 minutes or until desired brownness is achieved.
- 9Remove from oven, let sit in pan for a few minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy-Ish Lactation Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.3
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 15.1 mg
- Sodium 83.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: