Recipe by UsagiCassidy
I love coffee cake, and I love apple, so this is the perfect combination! Adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and also other recipezaar recipes.
Top Review by CaliCook
I've made this cake twice now. I like to use food storage items, so I used dried apples (reconstitute) and put some in the blender to make the applesauce. I also used powdered eggs, so my cake had a little more fat. Really like the flavors and the texture. Took it to work and they didn't care it was whole wheat!!
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped or diced apples (About 2 Apples, I leave skin on)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (more or less depending on the sweetness of the Apple)
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon margarine (I use Smart Balance Light)
- 1⁄4 cup oats (or 1 granola bar, finely chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Using 'cake' part of ingredients: In a small bowl, stir the flours, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using a food processor, chop up the apples.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, egg, egg white, sugar, and applesauce. Stir together until blended. Fold the dry ingredients to bowl, until combined.
- Pour entire batter into a sprayed 9x9 (or 9-inch round) pan.
- Using 'topping' ingredients: Stir together brown sugar, flours, cinnamon, and softened margarine. Then add in oats or granola and spread evenly on top of batter. NOTE: When I bake this, I use either a package (2 bars) of Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey granola, or Kashi crunchy Almond granola bars. I take the bars and run them through the food processor. Make a delicious and crunchy topping.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. Serve warm.